Health Professions Advising
If you're interested in working in the health industry, our health professions advisor offers guidance in designing your academic experience to prepare for your career. Whether you're planning on medical, dental, or veterinary school or considering a career in physical or occupational therapy, you'll have guidance in choosing the proper steps toward your career.
Working with programs and departments across campus, the health professions advisor facilitates the following services to students in any major:
Personalized four-year plans
Develop a personalized four-year plan to achieve the learning outcomes required for graduate health professions programs.
This personalized guidance includes:
- Guiding students to the courses required for entry into medical and allied health graduate programs.
- Advising students whose career goals change during college.
- Suggesting practical and relevant minors and elective courses (Introduction to Public Health, Exercise in Medicine, Health Psychology, etc.)
High impact experiences
Gain experience that sets you apart in your graduate school applications and focuses your professional ambitions.
- Faculty mentored student scholarship: practice science in on- and off-campus research experiences.
- Study abroad: participate in any number of Taylor's unique study abroad programs, including the medical semester in Ecuador.
- Service learning projects: medical schools and others desire students who demonstrate compassion and service to others. Taylor offers a variety of service learning opportunities over J-term, Spring break, and throughout the academic year.
- Leadership and team development: get involved in Taylor's various clubs, organizations, and athletic teams, and develop skills in leadership and teamwork.
- Job shadowing and practicums/internships in hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, research centers, etc.
Medical and professional school placement support
The health professions advisor helps students pursue further education through…
Coordinating recommendations: Letters of recommendation for students applying to medical and allied health programs are best written by one person who cites evaluations of the student from multiple voices across campus. The advisor helps students coordinate these recommendations.
Test preparation for tests including:
- Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT)
- Dental Admissions Test (DAT)
- Veterinary College Admissions Test (VCAT)
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
Ongoing support after graduation
Advising and services are available to Taylor graduates who take gap years before enrolling in medical school or other graduate programs.
Taylor frequently hosts guest speakers of various health professions.