If you're interested in the therapeutic uses of art, pre-art therapy provides a solid foundation for continuing study in pursuit of a master's degree in art therapy. Our interdisciplinary program combines core psychology courses with a broad range of art classes designed to teach you how to lead others in artistic exercises.
In this program, you will . . .
- build a psychological understanding of people and the varying needs for therapy
- develop artistic skills with a variety of mediums
- learn how to make art accessible to others through art education classes
Psychology courses provide a foundation knowledge of psychological theories, involving . . .
- Lifespan development (how individuals change from infancy through adulthood and old age)
- Abnormal psychology (mental illness, disorders, and maladaptive behaviors)
- Behavior problems in children and adolescents
You'll study and gain hands-on experience with a variety of art forms that can be done in any location:
- Two- and three-dimensional design