Sharpen your spoken, written, and non-verbal communication skills by studying and applying theories of communication in our communication studies major.
In this program, you will . . .
- gain an understanding of how various mediums impact message interpretation
- develop the analytical skills to effectively understand and communicate with others
- study the classical roots of rhetoric and apply rhetorical principles to evaluate public discourse
- analyze and critique oral, mediated, interpersonal, and public messages
Every communication studies student gains foundational education in:
- Public speaking
- Interpersonal communication
- Gender communication
- Rhetorical and media criticism
- Team-based communication
Choose from two concentrations:
Learn the application and special considerations of communication principles in business settings, especially in terms of . . .
- Media impact
- Organizational structure
- Influence and persuasion
- Strategic planning
Electives are chosen from a variety of communication, marketing, management, and sociology courses.
Interpersonal and Public Communication
Learn the influences of . . .
- Culture and family
- Context, media, and audience
- Empathy in listening
- Non-verbal behavior
Electives are chosen from a variety of communication, psychology, sociology, and social work courses.