If listening to music stirs you to create your own, if you enjoy experimenting with different instruments and textures of sound, consider the music composition major. Along with providing a solid background in music theory, our program familiarizes you with brass, woodwind, percussion, and string instruments, and puts theory into action through hands-on theory and composition labs.
In this program, you will . . .
- study historic composers and a variety of genres and musical styles
- consider the role of music in different cultures around the globe
- gain skills using modern music technology for composition
- develop your individual composition style
Music theory training involves:
- Basic structural elements of tonal theory and harmony
- Principles of part writing
- Melodic phrase analysis
- Diatonic harmonic progression
You'll learn the building blocks of musical composition, the general "rules" of composing and, through every composition class, develop original pieces.
You'll also . . .
- analyze the structures and designs of historic pieces
- learn how to arrange choral and instrumental works
- practice conducting
- gain extensive performance experience through ensemble participation
Every music composition student presents a senior recital where his or her original compositions are performed by the composer and other Taylor musicians.