If you enjoy singing or playing an instrument for others, if you're passionate about musical excellence, consider the music performance major.
In our Bachelor of Music program, you will . . .
- study and apply music theory and harmony
- refine performance techniques and theory to develop new skills and sharpen existing musical gifts
- examine and analyze major compositions and their historical contexts
- delve into composition and conducting
Our program stretches the limits of your abilities and provides active experience through . . .
- Vocal and instrumental ensembles
- Music technology in our fully equipped labs, which you will learn and use in required classes
All music performance students choose a primary and secondary instrument to focus on over their four years.
Choose from three concentrations:
Instrumental: Focus on the instrument of your choice.
In this concentration, you will take . . .
- One additional composition seminar
- Introduction to electronic music
- Instrumental arranging
- Instrumental pedagogy and literature
- At least one instrumental methods course
- Additional music electives of your choice (4 credits minimum)
Piano: Focus on piano performance with additional studies in theory and history, a second composition seminar, and a course on electronic music.
You will also study . . .
- Piano pedagogy
- Piano music literature
Piano students are encouraged to take choral and instrumental arranging courses.
Vocal: Learn how to best express your voice through song.
- Vocal pedagogy
- Vocal literature
- Diction in Italian, French, German, and English languages
- Two foreign language proficiency courses (8 credits)