Taylor University’s Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) program is an additional licensure available to all majors. Through the TESOL curriculum, you will learn to teach English to non-native speakers—people from different cultures, ages, educational backgrounds, and proficiency levels.
The TESOL program seeks to develop culturally sensitive, competent, knowledgeable, and caring TESOL professionals. This minor will help you teach more confidently overseas or in diverse communities, broaden your teaching perspective, and increase your marketability in any workplace.
The TESOL minor courses focus on increasing your cultural awareness and perspective on diversity in the classroom. You will learn the best teaching methods, become a grammar expert, and increase your cultural knowledge of the English language.
Students interested in TESOL can choose to concentrate on teaching Elementary-level students or Secondary Education students. Upon completion of the program, candidates obtain two teaching licenses from the Indiana Department of Education: the license for their particular grade level and a TESOL license. This program is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- TESOL Certificate: intended for those who hope to teach English in addition to their primary career focus, especially in international settings. Through this program, you will earn a certificate as evidence that you are equipped with the basic skills needed for teaching English. This certificate is open to all non-Education students.
- TESOL Minor: combines well with many majors. It will allow you to utilize your skills in language schools, social agencies, non-profit organizations, business/technology institutes, church programs, mission opportunities, and more. This minor is open to all non-Education students.
- TESOL Licensure: available to Elementary Education and Secondary Education majors who want to teach in American public schools. The licensure is earned in addition to the primary licensure and is issued by the state of Indiana. This additional licensure will provide training in how to support the increasing population of English Language Learners in public schools, which will broaden your employment opportunities.
TESOL Curriculum & Degree Options
- TESOL Minor
- TESOL Certificate
- TESOL Licensure – Elementary Education
- TESOL Licensure – Secondary Education